I’m an Investigative Journalist currently based in Melbourne, Australia with CHOICE. I have worked in Australia, Malaysia and Indonesia across a range of local and international publications and networks.
I started journalism interning at Malaysian online news organisation Malaysiakini in 2013, before returning to Melbourne to study a Bachelor of Communications (Journalism) at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology.
Prior to joining CHOICE, I was with SBS News for four years in a range of roles including Investigative Journalist, Digital Journalist and South Australian Correspondent.
I’ve have contributed for news organisations such as Reuters, Al Jazeera English, ABC 730, Crikey, The Diplomat and VICE. As well as other publications such as Griffith Review, ABC Religion and Ethics, Kill Your Darlings, Overland & Archer.
I have produced radio packages on a freelance basis for ABC Radio National, BBC World Service, Free Speech Radio Network and Asia Calling. I was previously the Politics and Arts Editor of Asian Australian magazine Peril.
I tweet @jarniblakkarly and can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Awards and Programs
– Finalist Carmel Bird Digital Literary Award – 2021
– Walkley Foundation Young Journalist of the Year – Winner Student category – 2016
– Journalism Education and & Research Association of Australia – 2015 Ossie Awards – Best Audio story (over 2 minutes)
– United Nations/Thomson Reuters Foundation, Reporting on Sustainable Development in a Changing Climate training program – 2015.
– Asia Calling correspondents training, Jakarta – Creative Radio and Multimedia Reporting – 2015.